For those who live in Romania and speak English as their native tongue or for those who love cooking and want the recipe in original, I will add here recipes that are all taken from the Internet or magazines and cookbooks in English, all tried and eaten very quickly. Why? Because I found them either easy or interesting to make and very tasty. You will excuse my grammar mistakes and other English error and I will be grateful if you take notice of them and tell me about it.
My first recipe that has introduced me in this miracle world of cooking is a Chinese recipe, cooked in January 2005 in London, to celebrate the Chinese New Year. All you need is love! I know, a little patience and hunger. You don’t want to cook all that food without eating it. Though I have to say that by the time I cook anything, my hunger is over, the smell of it feeds me already. 😉
Let’s get to work now. Enough talking. If you live in Romania you may find some ingredients missing but if you live abroad you are lucky. For those who still want to cook , I have made some changes, so you can have replacement and your recipe will taste with a twist: Romanian.
Cashew chicken with noodles
Serves 4, Takes 20 mins
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or sherry (or sunflower oil)
- 1 tsp sesame oil (or sunflower oil)
- 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce (just plain soy sauce)
- 1/2 tsp cornflower (flour)
- 4 tbsp water
- 250 (9 oz) pack medium egg noodles
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil (or sunflower oil)
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-5 cm (1 in) pieces
- 50 g (2 oz) cashew nuts
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into large pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch spring onion, halved
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a jug ready to use.
- Cook the noodles in a large pan of boiling water for the length of time recommended on the packet. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat, until smoking hot. Season chicken with salt and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Remove form pan and set aside.
- Add the cashews and red peppers to pan and stir-fry for 1 minute. Then, add the garlic and spring onions and cook, stirring, for another minute. Return the chicken to the pan. Pour in the sauce. Cook for 3-4 minutes until chicken is cooked and red pepper tender.
Plate up the noodles and serve topped with the cashew chicken.
Try experimenting with this recipe by adding bean sprouts, mange tout, asparagus tips, cubed tofu (fry with garlic and onions) or shiitake mushrooms.