My blog is not just about food, but mostly about it. This is what interests me mainly. Among other things. But one at a time. Today I come with a very easy and famous salad. I have eaten this salad most of the times with chicken but this recipe is with anchovies. If you don’t eat meat, than eat this. Fish is very good for you. But you already know this.
In case you know Romanian, check the recipe with the title Ave Caesar! If you don’t, than stick with English. The original is in English, taken from the “Good Housekeeping Cookery Book” -1985. That old it is. The book, not the recipe. I have just thought: how Old is this recipe anyway? If you know the answer let me know. I would search myself in Google but I don’t have the time. Not now. Maybe later.
Here is the salad, a very tasty, quick, easy to make and a good choice after the Easter meal.
- 1 large garlic clove, skinned and crushed
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) olive oil
- 75 g (3 oz) croutons
- 1 Cos lettuce (replace it with any other salad, make sure it is a crispy one)
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (or cheddar or any other cheese that you like, but remember, there is nothing like Parmesan cheese)
- 8 anchovies, finely crushed (well, you can try it out with one chicken breast, skinned, cut in small cubes and fried in butter – please, please – the 80-82% fat butter, it is the best, unsalted)
- Add the garlic to the oil and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Wash and dry the lettuce leaves and tear into bite-sized pieces. Place in a salad bowl. Pour over the garlic oil and toss until the leaves are completely coated. Season well.
- Boil the egg for 1 minute only, break it into the salad and toss well. Add the lemon juice, cheese, anchovies and croutons and give a final toss. Serve immediately.