As we all know, a little chocolate now and then makes us happy. Very happy. Especially when we are heartbroken. But as they say, forget love, I’d rather fall into chocolate. :)) I wish!;) No, I’d rather have them both. For the moment let’s talk about chocolate. Not any chocolate but something special. A chocolate cake full of this aphrodisiac.
I found this recipe a few years ago in a supermarket in Constanta in “BBC Good Food” magazine. In pictures it didn’t look extraordinary. But the look can be deceiving, as we all know. I read the ingredients and then it clicked. This cake had 7 chocolates in it. Imagine that! 7! I searched Google at home at that time to see if I could find something similar. But I couldn’t. There were only cakes with 3-5 chocolates mostly. That was different.
Because of this I decided to make the cake on a special day. It was almost 2 years ago, probably on Christmas, Easter, my name or my birthday. Or mom’s. Who cares! I made it and it was an instant hit from the beginning. It was sooooo delicious, you can’t imagine. Feeling the chocolate melting in your mouth, the smell, sensations that can’t be described. I just felt happy. Thinking now of it, makes me happy again.:)
In case you would like to check the recipe and for more information, you can always go to this link:
For a tastier and why not funnier description of this simple cake with 7 chocolates try my choice. Because my choice of cake is made with plain chocolate only of at least 70% cocoa. Yes, you already know that, but bear with me. And I also adapted here the recipe so it can be made in Romania where for example, I couldn’t see yet self-raising flour. And I was more generous with the cream and chocolate. I would never put only 250 g of chocolate in something but go for 300 g. I know , you agree with me here.;)
Ready in 1 hr 30 minutes, plus cooling
- 250 g flour
- 1 baking soda package
- 250 g unrefined soft brown sugar (if you don’t have it in your kitchen, choose the white one)
- 50 g cocoa
- 300 g plain chocolate
- 250 g butter (again, 80-82% fat if you don’t mind, because I do)
- 4 eggs
For the cream:
- 400 g plain or milk chocolate (please, please, please, plain)
- 300 ml pot single cream (my choice is full-fat)
- 25 g butter
- 100-200 icing sugar (I am afraid I haven’t seen it here, go for any sugar, is as good)
- cocoa powder for dusting
- Heat the oven to 160 C/ fan 140 C/ gas 3. Line a 20cm x 20 square cake tin. I use at home my round 24cm diameter cake tin.
- Mix the flour, sugar and cocoa together in a bowl. Melt the chocolate (don’t touch it!) and the butter together with 200 ml water in a pan and then beat this along with the eggs into the dry mixture. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. It may crack a little on top but this will be covered by the icing. Cool.
- To make the icing, melt the chocolate (I said to keep your fingers out of this!) with the cream and butter until smooth and then cool to a spreadable consistency, beat in enough icing sugar to make the icing opaque and stiff.
- Slice the cake horizontally into 2 or 3 layers and spread some icing (yummy) between each layer. Ice the outside of the cake in a thick even layer and smooth the icing down as much as possible, don’t worry about the top too much. I worry, I want it to be smooth on top too.
- Dust with cocoa powder just before serving.
Blessed those who have tried this out!