Half of this recipe is almost done because it is similar to the one I wrote a few days ago, Fruit and Almond Couscous. And the sauce you have to make for this is very easy and quick. Relax! It is also a vegan recipe, because it has feta cheese. The source of it is Tesco Magazine from 2005 in London. Let’s start as you need 50 minutes and I talk to much. 😉
Aubergine Stuffed With Fruity Couscous
- 4 small aubergine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 375 ml (13 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 175 g (6 oz) couscous
- 30 g (1 oz) raisins
- 30 g (1 oz) chopped dried apricots
- 30 g (1 oz) toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- small bunch spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp green olives, chopped
- 50 g (2 oz) crumbled feta cheese
For the spiced yogurt sauce:
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- ground black pepper
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil; add the aubergines (in batches if necessary) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from water, halve lengthways and scoop out flesh leaving a 2 cm (1 in) shell. Chop the removed flesh and set aside.
- Place ten aubergine shells on a baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven at Gas 6, 200°C, 400°F and bake for 5 minutes or until just golden.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a saucepan, add onion and gently sauté until soft. Add harissa and cinnamon and fry, stirring, for 5 more minutes. Add stock and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and add couscous. Let stand for 5 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork; add the remaining ingredients (except the feta) together with the reserved chopped aubergine.
- Pile the couscous mixture into the aubergine shells, top with the feta and bake for 10 minutes until the cheese starts to brown. Meanwhile combine sauce ingredients ready to serve with the stuffed aubergine.