For some days I’ve felt the need of something sweet. Probably to compensate me, as I am bitter and sour, more like a lemon. Don’t squeeze me, as I am not in the mood. Running away is how I feel. I am in desperate need of a vacation. I am so tired. I can’t wait for this one that comes with the 1st of May and for the longer one that comes with the 1st of July. I want to forget about everything and just relax. And I want to be alone, to recharge. Somewhere, over the rainbow. I remember a holiday I had in Bilbor, a beautiful village in the mountains, near Toplita town. I went there alone, to stay at a friend and I remember taking a small blanket and a book with me and lying down on a secluded clearing and falling asleep. Now, that’s a perfect holiday: sleeping in the nature.
The next perfect thing is to enjoy a delicious meal or desert. For a hot summer day, I recommend a fruit salad. No cooking, no sweating, no exiling yourself for hours in the kitchen and miss a beautiful sunny day. Just a quick and refreshing bowl of fruits with cream. You need 15 minutes of your life. Is it too much? I think not. If you want more quick recipes, get your inspirations, as I got mine for this recipe and more, from Carolyn Humphries’ “Simply Stylish Meals in 15 Minutes”.
Preparation time: 5 minutes plus chilling time
Cooking time: about 3 minutes
- 225 g (8 oz) strawberries, sliced or raspberries (or peaches, plums or nectarines, sliced and pitted)
- 150 ml (1/4 pt, 2/3 cup) double cream
- 150 ml (1/4 pt, 2/3 cup) thick plain yoghurt
- light brown sugar
- Arrange the fruit in a shallow flameproof dish.
- Whip together the cream and yoghurt until soflty peaking. Spread over the fruit. Chill, if time allows.
- Sprinkle liberally with sugar so it covers the top completely.
- Place under a very hot grill (broiler) until the sugar melts. Serve straight away.
Posted in Desserts, F word, Salads, Vegetarian
Tagged 15 minutes, 15 minutes recipe, Carolyn Humphries, Carolyn Humphries Simply Stylish Meals in 15 Minutes, easy recipe, fruit brulee, fruit brulee recipe, fruit dessert, fruit salad, fruit salad recipe, quick recipe, salad recipe, Simply Stylish Meals in 15 Minutes
Please, please, say yes. Do you like vegetables? Please, please, say yes. Are you a vegetarian or a vegan? Please, please, say yes. Otherwise I see no sense in writing this recipe. Who would like it, make it, taste it? 😦 Me? Yeah, I forgot about myself. I like vegetables, I am sometimes a vegetarian, I like to cook, to eat and to write recipes. And I like to do that for you, who take the time to read my blog. For this I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Today I invite you to try a French recipe, from Carolyn Humphries, ‘Simply Stylish Meals in 15 Minutes’, 1999. So, have you got 15 minutes? If so, here we go:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 small aubergine (eggplant), sliced
- 3 courgettes, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green (bell) peppers, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) dried oregano
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato purée (paste)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) red wine or water
- Put the prepared vegetables in a large pan with the olive oil. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the oregano, seasoning and the tomato purée blended with the wine or water. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender.
- Serve with buttered pasta and grated Parmesan cheese.
Posted in Dishes, F word, French, Vegetarian
Tagged 15 minutes, 15 minutes recipe, Carolyn Humphries, Carolyn Humphries Simply Stylish Meals in 15 Minutes, courgette, french recipe, no-nonsense ratatouille, no-nonsense ratatouille recipe, oregano, parmesan, pepper, quick recipe, ratatouille, Simply Stylish Meals in 15 Minutes, stewed vegetable dish, vegetarian recipe