Another fish recipe! Borrring! ;)) Followed from “Cooking for Two”, 1996 de Richard Olney and Simon Wheeler. The good thing is that is the last one from this book. The rest are from other sources. :))
Crisp Pan-fried Fish With Anchovy Butter
- 4 small fish fillets
- plain flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp cream
- 2 tbsp oil
- 50 g soft butter (please go with at least 80% fat butter)
- 3 anchovy fillets, drained
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp chopped fresh basil
- Toss fish in flour, shake away excess flour, dip fish in combined egg and cream.
- Heat oil in pan, add fish, cook until browned and crisp; drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve with anchovy butter and green salad, if desired. Serve with shoestring potatoes.
Method for anchovy butter:
- Combine butter, anchovies, garlic and basil in bowl; mixx well. Spoon mixture onto foil, shape into a log, roll up firmly. Refrigerate until firm.
Enjoy your meal!
- Butter can be made a day ahead.
- Storage: Covered, in refrigerator.
- Freeze: Butter suitable.
- Microwave: Not suitable.
Posted in Dishes, F word, Fish and Seafood
Tagged anchovy butter, anchovy butter recipe, basil, butter, cooking for two, cooking for two book, crisp pan-fried fish with anchovy butter, crisp pan-fried fish with anchovy butter recipe, fillets, fish fillets, fish recipe, pan-fried fish, Richard Olney, Simon Wheeler
A well known recipe from Thailand, a typical Thai fast food…To be honest is not the unhealthy choice of western fast food but because it is done rapidly, well, it is fast, like most Asian recipes… My source is Vatcharin Bhumichitr’ book, “Vatch’s Thai Cookbook”, 2004. I followed it and I really enjoyed it. Hope you will enjoy it too.
Fried Rice With Basil and Prawns/ Shrimp
— Khao Pad Krapow Gung —
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 small fresh red chilies, finely chopped
- 4 oz/ 120 g peeled raw prawns/ shrimp
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 20 fresh holy basil leaves
- 8 oz/ 240 g/ 1 1/4 cups boiled fragrant rice
- 1 small onion, slivered
- 1/2 red or green sweet pepper, slivered
- In a wok of frying pan, over a high heat, heat the oil until a light haze appears. Add the garlic and fry until golden brown. Add the chilies and the prawns and stir quickly to mix. Add the fish sauce, sugar and soy sauce. Stir-fry until the prawns are cooked through. Add the basil leaves and stir. Add the cooked rice and stir thoroughly. Add the onion and the sweet pepper and stir quickly to mix. Turn on to a serving dish.
Thaan hai aroi na khrap/kha!
Posted in Dishes, F word, Fish and Seafood, Thai
Tagged basil, fried rice, fried rice recipe, fried rice with basil and prawns/ shrimp recipe, Khao Pad Krapow Gung, prawns, prawns recipe, shrimp, shrimp recipe, thai chef, thai fast food, thai recipe, vatch's thai cookbook, vatcharin bhumichitr
Zucchini alla ricotta
Zucchini alla ricotta my way
Do you want something light, tasty, easy and delicious for a hot summer day? Go for an Italian recipe. Try my suggestion: courgettes stuffed with ricotta or as Italians would say: Zucchini alla Ricotta.
I would eat this meal quite often, if you ask me. Contrary to that, I have made it only twice so far. Once in London, once in Romania. So there is enough time to make it in the near future. My inspiration is in a book I have written about it here: “Good Housekeeping All Colour Party Cook Book” 1992.
I would also add another recipe for a home-made sauce. This sauce works with everything, from pasta, pizza to this recipe. So you must make it too, but don’t worry, it is very easy.
Let’s get to work, pardon me, to read. 😉
Zucchini alla Ricotta
(Courgettes stuffed with Ricotta)
- 8 even-sized courgettes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, skinned and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, skinned and crushed
- 175 g (6 oz) Ricotta cheese (if you don’t have Ricotta, try a fresh cheese)
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh basil (or 2 tsp dried)
- 3 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- fresh basil sprigs, to garnish
- freshly ground pepper
For the quick tomato sauce:
- 397 g (14 oz) can tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1 small onion, skinned and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, skinned and crushed (optional)
- pinch of dried basil
- pinch of sugar
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Score the courgettes length-ways with the prongs of a fork, then cut them in half lengthways.
- Scoop out the flesh from the courgette halves with a sharp-edged teaspoon. Leave a thin margin of flesh next to the skin and make sure not to scoop out all the flesh from the bottoms or the skin may break.
- Blanch the courgette shells in boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Drain, then stand skin side up on absorbent paper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion, garlic and scooped-out flesh from the courgettes. Fry gently for about 5 minutes until soft and lightly coloured, then turn into a bowl and add the Ricotta, basil, salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
- Spoon the Ricotta filling into the drained courgette shells, dividing it equally between them.
- Make the sauce now. The recipe says 300 ml but this sauce makes about 450 ml (3/4 pint). But as they say, there is never enough sauce, so use it all. So, put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. If you don’t have either of these, try mash everything or just add them directly to a saucepan. The sauce is perfectly fine like this too.
- Heat in a saucepan for 10-15 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Pour the tomato sauce into the bottom of a shallow ovenproof dish which is large enough to hold the courgettes in a single layer. Place the filled courgettes in the dish side by side. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven at 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6 for 20 minutes. Serve hot, garnished with fresh basil sprigs.
Posted in Dishes, English, F word, Italian, Vegetarian
Tagged basil, can tomatoes, courgette, courgettes recipe, courgettes stuffed with ricotta, Courgettes stuffed with Ricotta recipe, Good Housekeeping - All Colour Party Cook Book, Italian food, italian recipe, Ricotta cheese, tomato puree, tomato sauce, vegetarian recipe, zucchini alla Ricotta, Zucchini alla Ricotta recipe