When is hot outside, try this. If you are not living in a hot climate as Indians are, try this in cold weather and it will make you hot. And my guess is you will ask for more. It is a delicious recipe. So delicious that I tried it just once. Hahaha. I should try it several times as I like lamb and this is indeed something special. I have a déjà vu writing this. I also like the way it is constructed with all those ingredients, some of them rare and precious and full of flavour. What an exquisite aroma it spreads ! It whispers: come and taste me! And of course you come… Sit down at the table and enjoy it with naan bread (I miss naan bread sooo much) or basmati rice (Tilda brand – the best). I must cook this again. So, let’s see what I need, apart from Love and Understanding and Tenderness. And a beautiful and large kitchen where I will be the queen 😉 . I need … to add that the recipe is taken from a wonderful book, “Golden India – Indian Recipes” and the recipes is
Lamb Chops in Spicy Marinade
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
And the ingredients are:
- 1 kg lamb chops
- 12 almonds, blanched
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 2/3 tbsp (40 ml) butter or oil
- 1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2-3 cloves, whole
- 2 tsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp ginger, chopped finely
- 2 red or green chillies, deseeded and sliced
- a few strands of saffron, dissolved in 1 tsp milk (optional)
- 2 onions, medium size, chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp sesame seeds (til)
- 3/4 cup yoghurt (I always go with my fav, the greek full fat one)
- Blend cumin seeds, ginger, garlic paste, cardamom seeds, cloves, almonds, sesame seeds, cayenne pepper, sugar and 2 tbsp yoghurt to a purée, adding more yoghurt if the mixture is dry. Pour mixture into a bowl and set aside. You have now a masala paste.
- Melt butter/ oil in a large kadhai (wok) or pan. Add onions and fry till golden brown. Stir in the masala paste and fry for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Add a spoonful water at a time if the mixture becomes too dry. Add the lamb chops and fry 10 minutes on medium heat, turning chops frequently.
- Beat the remaining yoghurt and saffron together, pour it into the lamb and mix well. Bring to a boil the reduce heat to very low, simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Preheat oven to 150˚C/ 300˚F.
- Transfer chops into a casserole and put into the oven to cook for at least 25 minutes. After that you have a taste of India. 🙂