A well known recipe from Thailand, a typical Thai fast food…To be honest is not the unhealthy choice of western fast food but because it is done rapidly, well, it is fast, like most Asian recipes… My source is Vatcharin Bhumichitr’ book, “Vatch’s Thai Cookbook”, 2004. I followed it and I really enjoyed it. Hope you will enjoy it too.
Fried Rice With Basil and Prawns/ Shrimp
— Khao Pad Krapow Gung —
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 small fresh red chilies, finely chopped
- 4 oz/ 120 g peeled raw prawns/ shrimp
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 20 fresh holy basil leaves
- 8 oz/ 240 g/ 1 1/4 cups boiled fragrant rice
- 1 small onion, slivered
- 1/2 red or green sweet pepper, slivered
- In a wok of frying pan, over a high heat, heat the oil until a light haze appears. Add the garlic and fry until golden brown. Add the chilies and the prawns and stir quickly to mix. Add the fish sauce, sugar and soy sauce. Stir-fry until the prawns are cooked through. Add the basil leaves and stir. Add the cooked rice and stir thoroughly. Add the onion and the sweet pepper and stir quickly to mix. Turn on to a serving dish.
Thaan hai aroi na khrap/kha!